Fall 2013 (Section #7187)
Online Course Information Page
Welcome to the class introduction page for Digital Imaging, ART 1032. This page refers to the online class being held in Fall 2013. To register for this course, please visit the College's registration site at College of the Siskiyous Enrollment Services Office. Please read the following information and contact the instructor via email, James Gilmore (email@example.com), if you have any questions. Make sure you use a descriptive subject line for your email so it doesn't get accidentally deleted as spam.
THIS IS IMPORTANT:
You MUST have access to the Adobe Photoshop CS5 software in order to take this class! If you have another RECENT version of Adobe Photoshop (ie, CS4 or CS5.5) you may use it, but it will be up to YOU to figure out the slight differences, as your instructor (that's me) will using CS5. If you wish to avail yourself of Adobe's new Creative Cloud system, that is also viable.
- Adobe Photoshop Elements or Adobe Photoshop Lightroom WILL NOT suffice for this clas.
- If you wish to use the McCloud Hall computer lab on the Weed campus, please contact your instructor ASAP!
- Please secure the software ASAP, as we will be moving quickly!
THIS IS ALSO IMPORTANT:
The textbook for this class is Adobe Photoshop CS5 Classroom in a Book, Adobe Press, 2010, ISBN: 0321701763. No other textbook will be allowed, so please order this book ASAP. We will begin using it by week three.
Class begins on Monday, August 19, 2013 and ends on December 19, 2013.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of computer technologies for digital imaging, publishing and self-promotion in both the fine and applied arts.
- Demonstrate that art concepts can be communicated using the computer as an artmaking tool.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of software programs and their function as creative media.
- Be able to articulate aesthetic characteristics associated with digital design techniques.
View the complete syllabus.
- Office Hours:
You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org but it is much better to send me a Private Message from within Etudes. In any case I will reply as soon as possible. My office is located in the McCloud Hall 6 on the Weed Campus-my office hours will be announced by the first week of the Spring semester.
- Time Expectations: Expect to spend approximately six to ten hours per week over the semester. You will be required to participate each week and you should check on the site several times each week to keep current.
Adobe Photoshop CS5 Classroom in a Book, Adobe Press, 2010, ISBN: 0321701763
Is an online course right for you?
Online courses are more convennt than traditional face-to-face courses, but they are usually more difficult and require more time and effort. You should be comfortable using the internet, managing files on your computer, and have good time management skills. Since this class is complete in six weeks, you will need to be ready to go on the first day of class. Also...ie
- You must have a reliable internet connection and a backup plan just in case your first connection is not available.
- You will be participating in class and submitting some assignments as attachments for the games and some as written responses.
- You should know how to use your internet browser program, including making the necessary adjustments as outlined in the System Requirements tab on the main Etudes gateway page.
- You should review the "Online Survival Guide", which will go over the significant commitment that an online course requires.