College of the Siskiyous is located in one of the California's most geologically and geographically diverse landscapes. Here, where the High Cacade and Klamath provinces meet, students can study both young volcanoes and ancient oceanic terranes. The Earth and Space Sciences faculty offer a variety of courses in geology, physical geography and astronomy that draw on the College's diverse regional setting to meet the needs of general education students, Earth science majors and community members who would like to learn more about the physical environment of the Cascade-Klamath region.
Summer 2015-Spring 2016 Courses
Courses offered in Earth and Space Sciences differ slightly from year to year and the Summer 2015-Spring 2016 schedule is listed below. Follow any of the links to learn more about an individual course or click on the "Courses" link at left to see a complete list of the discipline's courses.
- no classes currently scheduled
- Physical Geography
- Environmental Geology
- Physical Geology/Lab
- Geology of Mount Shasta
- Geology of the Medicine Lake Volcano
- Physical Geography
- Geology of the National Parks
- Historical Geology/Lab
- Geology of Lava Beds National Monument
Paul Dawson Memorial Geology and Natural Resource Program Scholarship
Paul Dawson taught geology and engineering at the College of the Siskiyous from 1962 to 1986 and inspired generations of students with his enthusiasm, knowledge of local geology and great stories. Following his death in 1996, Paul's family and friends established a scholarship fund to assist outstanding COS earth science and natural resources students continue their educations. In order to be eligible to receive the $750 award a student must:
- be a full-time, second semester student who has an overall GPA of at least 3.0 and plans to continue at COS for a consecutive year;
- have taken or be enrolled in a geology course and be pursuing a career in Earth Sciences or Natural Resources;
- and, submit a letter of recommendation from the COS Geology or Natural Resource instructor with his or her application.