Whether you are enrolled in Geology of Crater Lake or would like to consider the course for the future, the links below give you access to the course text and some supplemental online materials.
- Geologic Overview of Mount Mazama and the Crater Lake Caldera: Course text that includes background information and the field trip road log. Because this document is a PDF file you will need to install a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader to access it if you do not already have Acrobat on your computer. This file is typically only linked when the course is being offered.
- Quaternary Magmatism in the Cascades—Geologic Perspectives: US Geological Survey publication that gives a detailed overview of the nature and origin of volcanic activity in the High Cascades.
- Cascade Volcano Observatory—Crater Lake: Brief summary of the geology and geologic history of Crater Lake along with information about its current alert level. U.S. Geological Survey
- Geologic Map of Mount Mazama and the Crater Lake Caldera: This detailed geologic map and set of cross-sections shows the distribution of rock units in and around the caldera. Accompanying text describes the age and character of the map units and gives an overview of Mount Mazama's geologic history. [Charles Bacon, US Geological Survey].
- Crater Lake/Mount Mazama geology: Online summaries of some of the U.S. Geological Survey's publications on Crater Lake, as well a collection of maps and images [Cascade Volcano Observatory, US Geological Survey].
- Mount Mazama and Crater Lake: Growth and Destruction of a Cascade Volcano: This brief "fact sheet" outlines the geologic history of Mount Mazama, describes the formation of the Crater Lake caldera and reviews recent studies of the lake floor of that shed light on the caldera's post-collapse history [Ed Klimasauskas, Charles Bacon and Jim Alexander, USGS].
- Crater Lake Earthquake Information: Map and database for earthquakes that have occurred recently in the vicinity of Crater Lake. [University of Washington Department of Earth and Space Sciences and Cascade Volcano Observatory]
- Crater Lake National Park: This site provides information on the weather, road conditions, and camping opportunities in the park that will be useful for planning a visit. There are also some notes on the park's geology under the "Natural Resources" section [National Park Service].
- Crater Lake Data Clearinghouse: A "gateway to information and data pertaining to Crater Lake", including lake-floor bathymetry and and a summary of the caldera's geologic history [US Geological Survey].