10 Student Tips for Success


Keys to SuccessAt College of the Siskiyous, we want you to be successful! Becoming a successful student is a lifelong process and we want to help you cultivate the skills, values and attitudes you need. Here are some tips to help you.
  1. Read and understand the course syllabus and first day handout. The course syllabus is the guide for what your instructor expects from you - what assignments are due and when, priorities for learning and how grades are determined.
  2. Get to know your instructor. Use time before and after class, or the instructor’s office hours, to discuss difficulties you are having with your class. Your instructor will work with you and help you be successful.
  3. Don’t skip class – EVER! Unless you are really sick or have an emergency. Actor/Director, Woody Allen said, “80% of success in life is showing up.” It’s the foundation for success in life and incollege. For college students, we might restate Woody Allen’s quote to read, “80% of being a successful college student is showing up. The other 20% is hard work, persistence, striving for excellence and knowing which thing to click on your computer.”
  4. Do all readings and assignments on schedule and turn them in. Falling behind is self- perpetuating. Coming to class unprepared makes you less able to understand the new material or ask questions.
  5. Ask about and investigate student support services. COS offersmany of them - tutoring; labs for reading, writing, math and computers; advising and counseling services; library and career center - all are free of charge! Use them often to help with your work.
  6. Don’t drop a course before talking to your instructor or an advisor. Although you may experience difficulties in a course, there may be solutions to your problems. So talk to COS staff members and get their help. We want you to be successful!
  7. Set measurable academic and personal goals each semester. A key difference between students who succeed and those who don’t is that successful students have clearly defined goals. 8. Accept personal responsibility to succeed. “Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing.” Successful students tend to be realistic and recognize that their success or failure is primarily determined by their efforts.
  8. Accept personal responsibility to succeed. "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing." Successful students tend to be realistic andrecognize that their success or failure is primarily determined by their efforts.
  9. Get to know other students and participate in activities. Forming study groups is one of the best ways to be successful. Get to know others by attending campus events.
  10. Build a master calendar. With all of your life activities scheduled (work, classes, study time,practice) you will be able to see in advance and plan accordingly – like taking two tests on one day, for example. You can be proactive rather than reactive in approaching your academic assignments and other activities.

 

BACK TO TOP