NetTutor for Students
We are happy to announce the availability of online tutoring for College of the Siskiyous students enrolled in and attending classes that lead to a certificate, graduation or transfer. Writing assignments can be submitted 24 hours a day, every day of the week and all writing submissions to NetTutor will maintain a 48 hour turnaround time. All other subjects will follow the NetTutor subject hours for the semester.
Contact the tutoring office for more information.
How to get started
To use the NetTutor service, click on the NetTutor link on the left sidebar of your Canvas class.
A Student Guide to NetTutor
- NetTutor is a comprehensive online tutoring service for all levels of college courses.
- All of our tutors are highly trained, and experts in the course that you are taking.
- We're ready to help.
- You can usually find the NetTutor icon in your LMS under your course. Click the link to open your NetTutor® Tutoring Home Page.
- Select the subject for which you wish to receive tutoring. The dashboard for that subject will open.
- To connect with a tutor, click on "Ask NetTutor - Live 1-to-1 Help."
- You will be directed to a page where you can see your position in the queue and view a video with instructions for asking questions in
- When a tutor is available, you will automatically be brought into a tutorial room. A cowbell will ring.
This lets you know that the session has begun.
- Your tutor will help you work the problem out and give you hints if you get stuck.
- Please come prepared to learn.
The Q&A Center allows you to ask a question off line, which a tutor will usually answer within 24 hours. When an answer has been prepared, you will receive an email notifying you that your question is ready. After you review the answer, you can ask a follow-up question.
NetTutor works with Windows and Macintosh, and on almost any browser. After you log in, a browser test will confirm that your computer is compatible with NetTutor. If anything is missing, the test will tell you where to find it. You may try the browser test
directly by visiting: http://www.html5test.com/
If you have any questions or technical difficulties, click the Customer Service Request link and fill out the form. You may also call our Customer Support Team at 1 (813) 674-0660 x204.
Preparing for Tutoring Sessions
Are you prepared to become an active and independent learner? If you come prepared for online tutoring, the assistance will be more beneficial and helpful.
- Log into a tutoring session EARLY in the semester. When you first begin to experience
difficulty in a class, seek assistance immediately. If you seek tutoring assistance the day
before an exam, or when you feel that you may be in danger of failing a course it may be
too late. It is best to envision online tutoring as supplementary to what you are covering
in your course.
- Assume responsibility. A tutor’s role is to help you learn how to do your course work,
not to do it for you. Tutors can provide support and insight, as well as guide you in
problem solving. Our central goal is for you to become an independent learner.
- Read all pertinent material before meeting with a tutor. Try to work all assigned
problems prior to the session, and bring your work to the tutoring session for the tutor
to review. This will allow you to ask specific questions about issues you may have and
pinpoint particular difficulties you may have experienced.
- Aim to engage in tutoring sessions in an active manner. You will reap more benefits
from assistance if you are the one doing the work.
- Set reasonable goals about what can be accomplished. Always keep in mind that it is not
realistic or feasible to ask questions about a semester’s worth of material in one
- Be patient during particularly busy tutoring times (e.g. mid-terms, final exams, etc.).
- Do not hesitate to say, "I am still having difficulty understanding this type of problem.
Could we go through it one more time?"
- Review your recorded live tutoring session on a consistent basis. Try to continually
expand your understanding of the material as you strengthen your knowledge base.
Live Tutoring Schedule
Here are the hours NetTutor is available for each subject. Not all courses listed in this schedule are offered by College of the Siskiyous.
NetTutor Live Tutoring Schedule
Denise Mannion, Tutoring Services Coordinator
Phone: (530) 938-5514
If you have questions, you may contact the NetTutor Customer Support team by submitting a support request via links on the NetTutor or WorldWideWhiteboard webpages, calling 1 (813) 674-0660 x 204, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.