COS Mountain Logo

COS Mountain LogoHome Class Schedule Apply mySiskiyous Canvas Menu Search

Alcohol and Drug / Human Services

California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Approved School/Program for the Alcohol Drug Counselor. It has met all the requirements as set forth by CCAPP and the Education Board (CCAPP Institute).

The Alcohol and Drug / Human Services program at College of the Siskiyous provides students with the academic and practical skills for entry-level employment in human services related fields, provides training for human services related professionals who wish to expand their knowledge and skills, and provides required lower division course work for those who wish to pursue advanced degrees in social work, counseling, rehabilitation, and related helping professions. The Alcohol and Drug Studies / Human Services curriculum may also academically prepare the student to transfer to a four-year university to complete a Baccalaureate degree program. Please check with a counselor or advisor for specific transfer requirements.

Program Learning Outcomes

Upon successful completion of this program, the student should be able to:

  • Describe current practices in human services and addiction prevention, treatment, and recovery as they relate to criminal justice, human development and health relations within the culture as a whole.
  • Analyze, compare, and contrast the themes of human service needs and their significance within the American culture.
  • Analyze and describe physiological and pharmacological aspects of substance abuse and dependence.
  • Demonstrate how drugs affect different body systems, cause side effects, and produce different addictive and abusive behaviors within the population.
  • Apply knowledge, skill, and understanding for competent performance in Alcohol and Drug and Human Services settings.

Career Options

Course work and certificate completion in Alcohol and Drug Studies or Human Services can prepare students for entry-level careers as drug and alcohol counselors, employee assistance counselors, health workers, corrections, adult and juvenile caregivers, divinity workers and many other social work and health care careers.

Work Experience Education Credit

Students can earn Occupational Work Experience units through supervised employment in an on-the-job learning environment relating to their career goals. For more information, visit our Cooperative Work Experience Education (CWEE) page.


Jennifer Reynolds
Phone: (530) 938-5512


Program Contact: Career and Technical Education
Phone: (530) 938-5512