COS Mountain Logo

COS Mountain LogoHome Class Schedule Apply mySiskiyous Canvas Menu Search

Veterans Services

Veterans Resources

Stress and Anxiety Assistance

VA Financial Assistance and Relief

Sign up for VA Resource Newsletter

Free Facebook Portal

COS is dedicated to assist Veteran students and their families with their educational and VA related needs. Certifying Officials act as the link between students and the Department of Veterans Affairs. We understand that the transition from military to college life can be difficult and are committed to providing the best possible care in appreciation for your sacrifice and service.

COS provides the following services:

  • Information regarding VA education benefits
  • Assistance with VA applications and forms
  • VA Certifying Officials to initiate and process VA education benefits
  • Evaluation of educational progress as applied towards a degree or certificate program
  • Evaluation of form DD-214 for college credit. Evaluation of Transcripts
  • Priority registration to qualified Veterans who provide a DD-214 or military ID
  • Appointments with Counseling and Student Support Programs
  • Local VA representatives
  • Assistance identifying community resources for Veterans/dependent

College of the Siskiyous adheres to Executive Order 13607- Establishing Principles of Excellence for Educational Institutions Serving Service Members, Veterans, Spouses and Other Family Member. For more information, please visit

Chapter 30, Montgomery G.I. Bill: This chapter can provide educational assistance for eligible veterans who have served on active duty for two or more years, have enrolled in the educational benefits program while on active duty, and have been honorably discharged from the service. You will need a copy of your DD-214, Application for Education Benefits (22-1990), and all transcripts from previous schools. You can also request an application at the COS Financial Aid/Veterans Office.

Chapter 35, Survivors & Dependents: Educational assistance paid to dependents (spouse/children) of veterans who are permanently and 100% disabled due to a service connected condition or who died in the service of a service-connected disability. Chapter 35 recipients might also be eligible for a fee waiver through the "Cal-Vet" program. Inquire at the COS Financial Aid/Veterans Office for more information.

Chapter 1606, Montgomery G.I. Bill for Selected Reserve: This program provides educational assistance for active members of the selected reserves, including members of the Army Reserve, Naval Reserve, Air Force Reserve, US Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard, Army National Guard, and Air National Guard. Basic eligibility requires a six-year obligation to serve in the selected reserves and satisfactory participation in required selective reserve training.

Chapter 1607, Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP): The Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP) provides education assistance to Guard members and Reservists who have served 90 days or more in a contingency operation after September 22, 2001. Benefits vary depending on the amount of time the reservist spent on active duty.

Chapter 33, Post-9/11 GI Bill
The post-911 GI bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible.

For more detailed information you can visit and apply for your VA Benefits.

Statement by Secretary Robert Wilkie on Forever GI Bill Housing Benefit Payments:

Applying for Veterans Benefits
Veterans must complete an Application for Education Benefits, Form 22-1990. A copy of the veteran's DD-214 must be turned in with the application. For Chapter 1606 the reservist must turn in a "Notice of Eligibility" which is furnished by the reserve unit. For Chapter 35 benefits, students must complete an Application for Survivor's and Dependent's Education Benefits, Form 22-5590, and submit with a copy of the veteran's DD-214.

First-time Applicants:

Contact the COS Counseling Office (530) 938-5353 to make an appointment with the VA counselor. Bring with you the Veteran Application for Benefits, DD-214, and any previous college transcripts. Copies are fine.

The VA counselor will verify all courses for accuracy regarding classes which can be certified. The VA counselor will explain courses in your major, general education, or possible electives that can be certified.

General Information About Veterans Services

Continuing Veteran Students: A veteran who has attended College of the Siskiyous before on any GI Bill program must make an appointment with the VA counselor prior to each semester before registering for classes.

Transferring from Another School: Students who have attended other schools and used VA educational benefits will need to complete a "Change of Program" form 1995 or 5495 (dependents) available at the COS Financial Aid/Veterans Office. You must make an appointment to see the VA counselor and bring with you the Change of Program form and transcripts (unofficial copies are OK).

Student Responsibility: It is the responsibility of each student to notify the Veteran Counselor of changes in unit status. Before adding or dropping any classes please contact the Veteran Counselor. In order to receive benefits on time or avoid the possibility of an overpayment, notify the office promptly of any adjustments.

Students are also required to maintain satisfactory academic progress as outlined in the "College of the Siskiyous Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements for Financial Aid Recipients" located on the COS financial aid webpage.

Withdrawing from Classes: Students are required to notify the VA Counselor of any withdrawals from courses. The VA will adjust or terminate benefits retroactive to the beginning date of the term. If the change of enrollment is due to reasons beyond the student's control, which VA accepts as mitigating circumstances, benefits are adjusted on the effective date of the reduction.

Mitigating Circumstances: Mitigating circumstances are those which directly hinder a student's pursuit of a course(s) and which are judged to be beyond the student's control. The following could be considered a mitigating circumstance, immediate family or financial obligations or the discontinuance of a course by the school.

When a student states that they have mitigating circumstances we report that to the VA and then the VA follows up with the student and makes the final call.

When Can You Expect Payment? Approximately six to eight weeks after the application and enrollment certification is submitted to the VA by our office, the student will receive a computer-generated award letter from VA showing the enrollment period certified, remaining entitlement, delimiting date, and claim number.

The COS certifying Veteran Official will send a letter letting you know that your enrollment was certified.

Monthly Verification: Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607 will be required to verify your enrollment on a monthly basis to the Department of Veterans Affairs; you can do this either by phone or by the internet.. This initiates your monthly benefit from the VA Department. It is your responsibility to verify your monthly enrollment. To verify your monthly enrollment please call the following number on the last day of each month:

1 (888) GI BILL 1 or 1 (888) 442-4551 or online at:

California Fee Waiver (dependents only) and California College Promise Grant: Veteran dependents who are California residents are eligible to apply for a CA Fee Waiver through your local county VA Office. Veterans cannot apply for the CA Fee Waiver, but they can apply for a California College Promise Grant. We encourage Veterans and Dependents to visit our Financial Aid Office for more information on other sources of funding, programs and services.

Information & Websites

Department of Veterans Affairs
1 (888) 442-4551

Monthly Verification of Continued Enrollment
1 (877) 823-2378

Siskiyou County Veterans Service Office
105 E. Oberlin Rd.
Yreka, CA 96097
(530) 842-8010

For additional veteran information:

Financial Aid Guide for Military and Veterans:

Contact Veterans Services

For General Inquires/Information:

For Counseling Services/Appointments:
Phone: (530) 938-5353