COS Mountain Logo

COS Mountain LogoHome Class Schedule Apply mySiskiyous Canvas Menu Search

Assessment / Placement

Math and English course placement

If you will be taking a math and/or English course as part of your educational goal, or a course that requires a prerequisite of math or English, appropriate course placement is important and necessary.

Here is some exciting news! Under state law, community colleges must do their best to help you complete transfer level math and English within your first year, if your educational goal requires those courses.

  • We use information from multiple sources, including your high school transcripts, and work with you to select math and English courses that will help you meet your goals. There is no need for placement tests at College of the Siskiyous.
  • Our transfer level math and English courses have embedded tutors and lab time built into the class, so you get help immediately when you need it as well as additional assistance throughout the course.
  • College of the Siskiyous has been recognized in publications for the success of our students!

Research shows that high school performance is a better indicator than placement tests when it comes to predicting ability to succeed. We also recognize that not everyone does well in high school, and that some of our incoming students have been out of high school for several years, and this is why a conversation with an academic advisor or counselor is an important part of the placement process.

In order to be best prepared when meeting with an academic advisor or counselor, the College of the Siskiyous' Admissions Office must have a copy of your high school transcripts and transcripts from other colleges you have attended. Those can be sent prior to your counseling or advising meeting (for phone or Zoom appointments, this is a must) or brought with you for your in-person appointment.

You can be successful in transfer level math and English courses. Research proves it, and we are doing our part to ensure your success.

Advanced Placement (AP) Credit

Advanced Placement (AP) is a program in the US and Canada created by the College Board which offers college-level curricula and examinations to high school students. American colleges and universities may grant placement and course credit to students who obtain high scores on these exams. Any student who passes a College Board Advanced Placement (AP) exam with a minimum score of three (3) in a subject matter will be awarded credit in a general education area/s with a subject matter similar to that of the AP exam. For any AP exam that the District does not offer a course similar in content, the District will award credit in the General Education area shown on the California Community College General Education AP List. If there is no General Education area that fits the AP exam, the District may award elective credit.

College of the Siskiyous will award credit to students scoring a 3, 4, or 5 on Advanced Placement exams as shown on the Advanced Placement Credit Matrix.

Students who want to request credit for an AP exam need to have their AP test scores sent from the College Board to the COS Admissions and Records Office, 800 College Ave, Weed CA 96094.

Units will be applied, upon transfer to the California State University (CSU) system and the University of California (UC) system, as noted on the Matrix. Other transfer institutions will determine the number of units awarded and the courses satisfied according to the individual campus policy.

If you have any questions regarding math and English placement or Advanced Placement (AP) credit:

Contact Counseling and Student Support Programs

800 College Ave
Weed, CA 96094
Phone: (530) 938-5353
Fax: (530) 938-5531